Saturday, April 18, 2015

When #13 Became Lucky

I mentioned before that I tuned out the post-Flashpoint Deathstroke series when Rob Liefeld was announced as the writer after the first few issues. I still wanted to record them on the Vol. 2 page above though and in doing so I realized how quickly DC Comics changed gears when it became obvious that handing the book over to Liefeld was the furthest thing from a solution.

The solicitations for that volume's books are still easily located online and of course I include the blurb when I copy them onto this blog. Here's how the 13th issue was promoted back in the summer of 2012 (typically hideous Liefield cover included).
DEATHSTROKE #13 
Written by ROB LIEFELD
Art and cover by ROB LIEFELD 
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+ 
Deathstroke and Zealot learn the terrible fate of the planet Kheran and brace for the long-lasting repercussions it will have on the DC Universe.
And...None of that actually happened.

I didn't realize it right away because I intended to buy the book in trade paperback format following Liefeld's departure. When I saw Liefeld's name still attached to the book at this point, I guess I ignored it.

Liefeld is still credited in the issue #13 that actually hit shelves, but only for plot. And that plot has absolutely nothing to do with Zealot or the planet Kheran (thank the comic gods) so I'm not even sure that credit is warranted. The story is far more similar to what we saw in the first few issues of the series; a huge, flashy and loud fight against a big bastard named Deadborn. Zealot does appear, but only briefly and is essentially sent packing.

Here's the significantly-cooler cover that was used, which actually flows into the story. Page one is included below as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment