Friday, March 20, 2015

Ugh. Liefeld.

Again referencing the "About This Blog" page, I mentioned earlier that I once gave up on comics altogether but the first volume of the Deathstroke series brought me back.

I was gleefully buying the highly chaotic second volume as well...But stopped when it was announced the Rob Liefield would take over both art and writing duties from issue 9 and on.

I find most people either love Liefeld or detest him. I fall firmly in the latter camp. While some predicted that Deathstroke/Liefeld would be a match made in heaven based on Liefield's work on a multitude of similar characters, I wanted nothing to do with it, planned on pretending they didn't happen, and resuming my collecting once Liefeld was gone.

I did end up getting the Liefeld issues anyway when DC Comics compiled issues 9-20 of the volume, plus a zero issue, in the "Lobo Hunt" trade paperback. Seems that DC originally planned to collect only the Liefeld issues but once the decision was made to pull the 'chute on the series anyway, they just threw together everything that was left.

I was fortunate enough to get the book at a price that would have been decent for just the non-Liefeld issues anyway. Liefeld started phasing out from issue 13, for which he's credited with plot while Joshua Williamson get a script credit. Then Justin Jordan writes 15-20. In terms of pencils, Eduardo Pansica worked issues 13-14 in Liefeld's place and Edgar Salazar handled most of the duties from there.

I can't say for certain that it strategic, but adding those issues to the compilation enabled DC to legitimately use non-Liefeld material for promotion and packaging. The cover to the collection, displayed here, is originally from issue 17 . The image on the back cover is a portion of the cover to issue 19 so again, well outside of Liefeld's brutal run.

When the page dedicated to volume two is completed, I'll still include the Liefeld issues and credit him for the work he has done, of course. But my promise to you, fellow Deathstroke fans, is that no Rob Liefeld art will ever be displayed on this blog.

I remember, as a kid, noticing that Deathstroke co-creator George Perez could make anybody look cool (even Robin). Rob Liefeld has the exact opposite skill, in my opinion. Like the writers who have come after him, I'm more content to pretend none of his issues actually happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment